+ Reply to Thread

Thread: plans truck crane

Post Thanks / Like

plans truck crane

does anyone know of plands for a hydraulic truck crane 1 or 2 tons. thanks jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Never used plans, just built it.

Of course if you want fancy, I have one I'd love to sell that's factory built, and hides inside the bumper when you ain't using it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Appreciation Gains You Recognition-

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Franz, what does that rotate on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Front spindle from a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Franz, your wright again, that how my borotherand myself make the scratch pad trailer. Thanks wise one. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll try to hunt up the pics of the spindle assembly later, and post them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hub, top view showing brake band.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom view. Holes in hub are for a locking pin to prevent rotation when I don't want to rely on the brake band.

Post Thanks / Like
    Franz,

Thanks for the hoist photos. I am also in the process of making a truck hoist and have a few questions that maybe you could answer. I know this may sound like overkill, but the hoist will need to lift a minimum of 1400 pounds from the ground into the bed of a 1978 Ford F-350 (1 ton I believe). I plan on using a piece of 3/4" plate 1 1/2' wide that will run the width of the bed and will be fastened to the frame on both sides with with additional support added in the middle under the bed. The hoist will be placed at the rear passenger side corner. The base plate will be a piece of 3/4" plate that is 1 1/2' x 1 1/2' square. To this I will attach the mast which will be 6" O.D. tube/pipe with a 5" I.D. giving me a 1/2" wall thickness and approx 5' long. There will be 6 gussets welded at the bottom of the base plate around the bottom of the mast. The gussets will be made from 1/2" plate and will be approx 10" high. Over the top of the mast I will slip a 3' long piece of 7" diameter pipe with a 6" I.D. and capped at the top. The lift arm will be configured similar to the one your photo shows. Presently I am thinking of using a 4" long piece of 5" square tubing with a minimum wall thickness of 3/8". Inside this there will be a 3 1/2' to 4' long piece of square tubing (unknown what size will fit in the 5" tubing) that will be a minimum of 3/8 wall thickness.

I need to know if you believe the materials listed above will be capable of lifting 1400 pounds with the slide arm extended. Also, what size of long bottle jack would be required if the 8 ton version is not capable of doing the job. Like I said above, this is probably overkill, but seeing that I am a worry wart with minimal engineering skills, it will give me peace of mind when I have the hydraulic ironworker dangling off the end of it...........thanks for any adcice or suggestions you may have.

Post Thanks / Like
    The crane is going to weigh more than the ironworker. Everything in that can be lightened one thickness and still be overkill. 3/16 by 3x4 would be a typical boom, the 5 inch is way out there.
    Last edited by Sberry; 04-20-2004 at 10:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta agree with S, way too much steel in the crane for what you want to do, and you'll be wasting jack capacity.
    Look at the top pic, and notice the jack can be placed in several positions to maximize lift capacity. In the configuration shown, this crane can lift 2000# about 4 feet.
    It has actually lifted the L/F tire of the Dodge M-37 off the ground in the configuration shown.
    The steel in this crane is all 1/8 thick material welded into a box shape. It was donated from a radio transmitter housing and free for the hauling.
    Lifting capacity is relatively easy to figure out, in terms of jack capacity since the configuration is a 3rd class lever. If the jack at the top, is 1/3 of the distance from fulcrum to load, the lifting capacity will be 1/3 of the jack's lifting capacity.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist